Historic Name: The Episcopal Church of the Incarnation
Address: 111 East Olive Street
Status: National Register
Date Placed on National Register: 10/8/1980
Level of Significance: Local
Area of Significance: Architecture
Property Type: Church
Architectural Style: Gothic Revival (19th Century)
Theme: Anglo-American Architecture
The Church of the Incarnation is located in a twentieth century residential neighborhood of Amite. Originally built in 1872 as a board and batten basilica, the church was blown down by a tornado in 1908. All that remains of the original building are two rear walls and the apse. A new frame church was built in 1908 consisting of a four bay nave, a crossing and a square frontal narthex-tower under a flared spire.
The church is constructed of pine with tongue and groove shiplap siding and interior narrow gauge wainscotting. The nave ceiling is formed of wainscotting shaped into a pointed arch vault which rests upon curved brackets. The lancet windows and doors are echoed in the exterior trim, where each bay is accentuated by pilaster strips and surmounted by a wooden pointed arch. In addition, the upper portion of the tower is ventilated through a set of large wooden quatrefoils. Later additions to the church include a small rear lean-to, concrete front steps and an aluminum awning.
Specific dates 1872-1908
Statement of Significance (in one paragraph)
The Church of the Incarnation is significant in the area of architecture as a superior example of small town, turn-of-the-century Gothic church architecture. Most extant examples have lancet windows and towers, but the Church of the Incarnation has the additional refinement of an elegant flared spire, exterior broad pointed arches accentuating the bays and quatrefoil ventilators.
The State Review Committee requested that it be noted that the church building represents the history of the Episcopal religion in the town of Amite.
Major Bibliographical References
History of Church of the Incarnation, Compiled From Church Records and Secondary Sources,
Located in Church of the Incarnation National Register File, State Historic Preservation Office, Baton Rouge.