Louisiana Attorney General Offers Consumer Guide to Home Mortgages
In an effort to empower consumers and to help first time homebuyers and current homeowners avoid mortgage trouble, Attorney General James D. “Buddy” Caldwell today announced the launch of a new publication, the “Mortgage Guide.”
“A mortgage is the largest and most serious financial obligation that most consumers ever make,” said Attorney General Caldwell. “The mortgage process is complicated, and in addition to the financial and legal issues, some of the parties involved in the process may not always act in the best interest of the consumer. That’s why understanding key mortgage terms, options, and payments can prevent homeowners from losing their homes.”
Attorney General Caldwell said the mortgage guide contains information on a variety of topics ranging from mortgages, transfers, foreclosures, abusive lending practices, and fraud.
“Scam artists use a variety of tactics to find homeowners in distress, so it’s important for consumers to know how to protect themselves,” Attorney General Caldwell said.
Attorney General Caldwell advises consumers to avoid anyone who:
- Guarantees to get you a loan modification or stop the foreclosure process regardless of your financial situation.
- Advises you to cut off any and all contact with your lender, lawyer, or housing counselor.
- Claims that all or most of their customers get loan modifications or mortgage relief.
- Asks for an upfront fee before providing you with any service, unless they are a licensed attorney in the State of Louisiana.
- Tells you to make your mortgage payments directly to someone other than your mortgage lender or stop making payments to the mortgage lender.
- Tells you to transfer your property deed or title to someone else.
- Pressures you to sign papers that you have not had a chance to read thoroughly and understand.
The mortgage guide can be found under More Resources. Free, single copies are also available by calling Attorney General Caldwell’s Consumer Protection Hotline at (800) 351-4889.