Tangipahoa Parish (French: Paroisse de Tangipahoa) is a parish located in the state of Louisiana, one of the Florida Parishes. The parish seat is Amite City, The major city is Hammond. As of the 2010 census, the population was 121,097. Tangipahoa comes from an Acolapissa word meaning “ear of corn” or “those who gather corn.” The Hammond Metropolitan Statistical Area includes all of Tangipahoa Parish.
The parish has a total area of 823 square miles (2,130 km2), of which 790 square miles (2,000 km2) of it is land and 33 square miles (85 km2) of it (3.99%) is water. Most of the parish south of Ponchatoula consists of Holocene coastal swamp and marsh—gray-to-black clays of high organic content and thick peat beds underlying freshwater marsh and swamp.
Parish Communities and City History:
Amite is derived from a French word describing the amiable Indians that early explorers found in the area. Amite has been the parish seat since the creation of the parish in 1869. There were a number of settlers nearby when the New Orleans, Jackson and Great Northern Railroad was first chartered in 1852. That event drew the first land developers to a site 68 miles from New Orleans that had been selected as a station stop.. Amite City population 4,110
Hammond The largest municipality in the parish is named after Peter Hammond, a Swedish adventurer who was the first settler in the area. The economic story of Hammond began in 1860 when C.E. Cate bought land and constructed a home as well as a shoe factory, tannery and a sawmill. Soon after the Civil War he laid out the town and other light industries and merchandising businesses quickly made Hammond a commercial center for the area. In 1893 a Colonel Henry Robinson built the first of three magnificent hotels on a site facing the railroad tracks near the middle of town. The town became a popular stop for northern visitors who came south for the winter months and for New Orleaneans who wanted to escape Yellow Fever season during the summer. The railroad comes through Hammond, La. in Parish, which becomes a shoemaking center for the Confederacy during the Civil War. Town was planned in the 1860s, and by the early twentieth century was known as the Strawberry Capital of America. Hammond was the first Strawberry Capital of the area. Boxcar loads of the produce were shipped north from the city until competition from California and other states decreased market share.
City of Hammond
P.O. Box 2788, Hammond, LA. 70404
The City Council performs traditional governmental services such as zoning regulations, financing of bond issues, levying of taxes, providing basic services such as police and fire protection, supervising street and road construction and maintenance assuring drainage and overseeing industrial development.
17,639 Total 2000c
Independence is known as Uncle Sam when settled in the 1830’s. Italian families began to arrive early in the 1880s. Because of its heritage, the town has come to be known as Little Italy. Downtown historic district created by city in 1982. In the 1880s Italian families that had been working the sugar cane fields began to establish strawberry and truck farms near a little village called Uncle Sam, which was located along the railroad between Amite and Hammond.
As these hard working immigrants grew in numbers they began to leave the fields and establish a retail industry to support employees at the nearby Southern Car Works. They eventually renamed the town Independence and remain a significant cultural force in the parish. The town of Independence in Tangipahoa Parish is known as Uncle Sam when settled in the 1830s. Italian families began to arrive early in the 1880s. Because of its heritage, the town has come to be known as Little Italy. Downtown historic district created by city in 1982. Independence population is 1,724
Kentwood is named after Amos Kent, an early settler who established a sawmill and a brickyard which eventually became the largest in the south. The lumber industry thrived in the area until about 1920 when virgin timber began to diminish. Kentwood had been the largest town in the parish, but much of the population left with the timber trade.
Those people remaining in the town turned to the dairy industry and began to prosper again, using cooperative breeding and marketing techniques. Today, it remains a principal industry in the northern reaches of the parish
Kentwood population 2,205
City of Kentwood
308 Avenue G
Kentwood, LA 70444
Kentwood is governed by a Mayor and five Council Members, all elected at large. All are elected for four year terms. Council meetings are held at 7:00 p.m. on the first Thursday of every month
Ponchatoula is a Choctaw name meaning falling or flowing hair, which was the Indian description of the fungus we call Spanish Moss. William Akers built a house along the Old Spanish Trail in 1832. When the railroad was commissioned, a small village began to grow as the work crews building over the swamps to the south needed a base camp.Eventually sawmills were built to harvest the abundant pine and cypress forests nearby. Strawberry and truck farms provide another basic industry to the area.
The original Ponchatoula, La. railroad depot is built by the New Orleans, Jackson & Great Northern Railroad (later Illinois Central). The depot is burned when Union forces captured town in March 1863. Rebuilt c. 1865. Present depot built in 1894 & remodeled in the 1920s
Ponchatoula City Hall
125 West Hickory Street, Ponchatoula, LA 70454
985 386-6484 Fax: 985 386-5533
Ponchatoula Strawberry Festival: April
Pass Manchac, South boundary of Tangipahoa Parish. Part of line dividing Isle of Orleans from Florida Parishes. Boundary between British West Florida and Spanish Louisiana, 1763-1783; Spanish West Florida and French Louisiana., 1803; U.S. and Spanish West Florida, 1803-1810
Roseland is nestled against the northern city limits of Amite and was incorporated in 1892. The town was named after the Cherokee Rose, a white rose that grows wild in the area
Tickfaw, Another of the fuel and water stations developed from a one-mile-square plot laid out by the New Orleans, Jackson and Great Northern Railroad. In the local Indian language Tickfaw meant wild beasts shed their hair here. The Village was founded in 1852 and was incorporated in 1957. Tickfaw population 617